Abortion Rights are Youth Rights
Today’s Supreme Court decision in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization will go down in history for stripping away fundamental freedoms from individuals. By overturning the landmark Roe v Wade decision of 1973, the Supreme Court is allowing states to deny essential healthcare access. Subjugation, not freedom, won in the courts today.
The harm to young people will be especially profound. Young people often face the brunt of restrictions on care, especially youth living in communities that have been historically under-resourced, oppressed and ignored. Today’s ruling adversely impacts the ability for youth to thrive and have a full and fair opportunity to achieve the future they envision for themselves. This alarming verdict reinstates inequities that we know will result in a double-digit increase in the rate of pregnancy-related deaths, including among young people.
For more than 50 years, NCYL has worked to support the right of young people to have equitable access to whole health care, information, and resources — including sexual and reproductive care. NCYL reaffirms its commitment to listen to young people, center their voices and fight for the well-being of youth and ensure they have autonomy over their bodies. We will continue to support our youth, listen to them, and advocate for their voices and interests to be centered.
We call on all allies to stand with us in this fight.
What can you do today?
Here are some ideas from our friends at Advocates for Youth:
- Remember that abortion is still legal in the vast majority of the country. It’s important not to spread misinformation at this crucial time. For up-to-date information about abortion policies in your state, visit Abortion Finder’s State-by-State Guides. (Although, note that this resource may be updating rapidly in the next few days and its information may change throughout today)
- If you’re ages 14-24, join young people working to expand access in anticipation of just this moment: through abortion funds, doula training, practical support networks, clinics, pharmacies, telehealth providers, self-managed care strategies, and more. Join YouthASC here.
- If you or someone you know needs an abortion, we've compiled a list of resources at advocatesforyouth.org/abortioninfo — feel free to share far and wide.
- Donate to an abortion fund in your community — help someone pay for the abortion they need.
- Learn about practical support options for abortion in your area.