Cy Pres Awards
Cy pres awards allow unclaimed settlement funds from class-action lawsuits to be distributed to organizations that are most likely to benefit or pursue the interests of the class.
- As a 501(c)(3) nonprofit children’s advocacy organization, the National Center for Youth Law (NCYL) is automatically eligible to receive cy pres funding in California State Court class action suits under the California Code of Civil Procedure Section 384(b).
- More generally, regardless of the subject of the litigation, as an organization that works on all issues impacting marginalized children and youth NCYL is almost always eligible to receive cy pres awards.
Cy pres awards are particularly beneficial to NCYL’s ability to advocate for public policies and pursue impact litigation aimed at improving the systems impacting the lives of children and youth, efforts that require significant resources and can take years to resolve. Substantive areas in which we work include:
- Ending the unconstitutional detention and protecting the due process rights of children in federal immigration custody;
- Ensuring all youth who are in foster care, homeless, and involved in the youth justice system receive the educational opportunities they need;
- Protecting the civil rights of marginalized students and ensuring schools are safe, empowering places for all children;
- Ending the criminalization of survivors of child sex trafficking and ensuring they get the services they need to heal and lead healthy, productive lives;
- Empowering youth in foster care to make decisions about their bodies and futures by ensuring access to reproductive health care;
- Ensuring youth in foster care receive effective mental health services rather than harmful and unnecessary psychotropic medications; and
- Ending the incarceration of youth as adults, reducing the number of children involved in the youth justice system, and eliminating juvenile fines and fees.
For more information on NCYL’s work, or to nominate NCYL for a cy pres award, please contact Executive Director Jesse Hahnel at email@example.com or (510) 899-6575.