Communications Director - No longer accepting applications
NCYL’s Communications team is responsible for advancing the organization’s efforts through media campaigns and elevating its profile as a nationally recognized leader in the fields of children’s policy, system change, and youth partnership. We deploy a broad range of marketing and communications strategies and tactics to advance the organization’s mission, goals, and objectives, shift the harmful narratives that act as a barrier to systems change, and create a shared understanding about solutions that work for young people.
NCYL’s Communications Director is responsible for visioning, leading and implementing the organization’s marketing and communications efforts, from strategic planning through day-to-day tasks. The Director will solidify and advance the organization’s powerful new brand identity, which was launched in April 2022. This is an excellent opportunity for a creative, mission-driven, marketing and communications leader who is excited about identifying and achieving audacious goals, advancing justice in partnership with young people, and playing a key role in establishing and communicating the organization’s identity, strategic direction, and culture. The position reports to the organization’s Executive Director.
- Develop and lead implementation of a visionary organizational strategic communications plan that advances NCYL’s mission.
- Ensure strategic communications support is provided to advance NCYL’s advocacy and campaign goals across all of our focus areas.
- Inspire staff with how strategic communications can help advance their work and ensure they have the skills to strategically interact with media and help implement the organization’s strategic communications plan.
- Lead strategic message development and ensure consistency of messaging.
- Serve as chief publicist for the organization, achieving national renown for our work and organization.
- Lead ongoing brand and sub-brand strategy development and promotion of new brand.
- Develop, deploy, and oversee the organization’s brand marketing and communications plan, including setting goals, measurable objectives, strategies, and tactics.
- Lead the Communications Team, which includes supervising team members, identifying and working with communications consultants, and ensuring efficient use of resources.
- Pivot and re-prioritize communications resources as needed to support rapid response scenarios.
- Establish and manage effective cross-team relationships with organization leadership, program leads, development, and others to identify marketing and communications goals that advance the mission, brand, and day-to-day work.
- At least 10 years of experience in communications and/or marketing
- Demonstrated success in identifying and achieving measurable strategic communications goals
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Strong knowledge of media relations, social media, content, SEO/SEM and email marketing strategies
- At least three years of demonstrated success leading a communications team within a complex organizational structure
- Experience supervising non-entry-level staff
- Passion for growing community power and centering youth through communications strategies and tactics
- Experience leading communications strategies with an equity, diversity, inclusion, and anti-racist lens
- Experience working with advocates, attorneys, youth, elected officials, and/or community leaders
- Experience working in non-profit, system-change advocacy
- Experience working on issues impacting young people
- Experience with promoting responsible storytelling – including working sensitively with people who have been impacted by system involvement to share their experiences, asset framing and working with reporters to dismantle harmful existing narratives
Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
Salary, Benefits & Location
This is a full-time, exempt position. The salary is competitive at $156,944.00 annually. A geographic salary differential may be applied if the candidate resides somewhere other than the Oakland, CA, Los Angeles, CA, or Washington, DC areas.
NCYL provides a robust benefits package including health, dental, vision, life, generous vacation and sick benefits, flexible spending account, commuter benefits, employer contribution to a retirement plan, short-term and long-term disability insurance, and medical travel expenses for those seeking gender-affirming care or abortions.
Candidates must reside in Arizona, California, Colorado, Illinois, Maryland, Virginia, or Washington DC. This position requires the ability to work remotely and requires some travel.
This position is eligible for 100% remote work through March 2023. It is possible that in April 2023, NCYL will require people to work in an office, in which case they will need to be in a location where they can regularly commute to the NCYL office in Oakland, CA, Los Angeles, CA, or Washington, DC. We don't yet know what remote work will look like beginning in April 2023.
How to Apply
No longer accepting applications.
Applicants with lived experience within any of our practice areas, and Black, Indigenous, and other people of color, are strongly encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of NCYL to provide equal employment opportunities to all Applicants (including Employees) regardless of race, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, breastfeeding, national origin, age, abilities/disabilities, neurotypicality, socioeconomic status, veteran status, marital status, prior convictions, or any other protected classifications under federal, state, or local law.
Meet the new face of NCYL!
Fresh New Look Speaks to Decades of Centering Youth
NCYL is proud to share the next evolution of our brand, which includes a bold new logo that speaks to the heart of what NCYL has been about for over 50 years: Youth.
Center Youth has always been our North Star – and our new brand finally lets it shine. This simple statement expresses both our call to action to public systems and the promise we’ve made to youth, family and community. It is the core value that drives every part of our work.
Our Future is Bright
Other elements of our brand evolution, including the use of brighter colors, are a reflection of the hope we have for the future. In addition to infusing our brand with the energy and optimism we feel, this color palette has been carefully curated to adhere to accessibility standards.